Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Confessions of a Materials Addict


I was cleaning my office today and trying to organize my jewelry making materials. In the process of shifting things around, I had to move my collection of drawing pads about a hundred times. After the 50th maneuvering, I realized that I have far too many blank drawing pads. There are several stacks now leaning against the walls of my office and on my desk is a brand spanking new sketch pad (I NEEDED a really big one, you know). Somehow, I always manage to justify purchasing art supplies. I may have to skip a meal to pay for it but I always really need something and, if you were interested, I could probably share the rationale behind each purchase...but that would take a while.

In an effort to become better person and learn to be satisfied, I am going to give up going to art supply stores. I really do need to get over the rush of cracking open a new box of markers or running my hand across a smooth new pad of paper. If an idea comes to me, I am going to find a way to create it out of materials at hand rather than dashing off to the store. If I need a sketchbook of a different shape, I can make it out of some of these giant drawing pads. Who knows, perhaps I will get desperate enough to use those acrylic paints I acquired for 2-D Design class so very long ago.

In any case, the little pile of 4"x4" bristol squares will be the first to go. There are 56 of them; they are the remainders of the bristol pad I cut up for the 40 Days of Doodles project. Also to be deployed, the large box of fancy markers I received for my birthday a while back (having a supportive architecture dad = wonderfully useful presents). I will share the results with you. The first one is above. Given that I don't really use color much, it should be entertaining. So, here goes:


 I am pretty sure I am not alone in the supply addiction. What materials do you obsess over? What are you going to do with your excess supplies collection?

2 comments:

  1. I have a crud-ton of post-its. I also have way too much food in the pantry, but that actually came in handy after the snow-week we had last month in Seattle. Hubby used to make fun of me for my food hoarding.

    Anyway, love the sketches, especially the one with spirals - reminds me of trees...though that may have been what you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you.
    You need to come to our house and pick out some food for us to hoard; our pantry is never well stocked. We are running out of food right now and no-one wants to go to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete