Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Remember: This is Fun

So, I just finished posting lucky 13 of the Doodle-a-Day drawings. I have actually managed to do one each day and it has turned out to be rather fun. It is a relief to just play and has gotten me back into sketching in my sketchbook. I definitely recommend that you try the exercise for yourself; it is much more fun than a diet.

I caught myself on the verge of reverting back to bad habits, though. As I stared at my little card for today, I began overthinking how I wanted it to turn out. I wanted to work with ovals and wanted them to be dimensional and all sorts of other stuff. The drawing needed to be perfect and convey a sense of depth and blah...blah...blah. That is not the point. I am all for integrity and controlling design and being thoughtful and planning and all sorts of other things. But, these values need to be kept in their place. The doodle is not, I repeat NOT, the place for this.

I took a deep breath and opened my marker and just played. And kept playing and stopped worrying. Sometimes you have to make yourself play; it is good for your soul.

Don't forget to play today.

No comments:

Post a Comment